Writing for a Living

I received some feedback from some people I know in response to the blog I posted the other day. The suggestion was that I should or could write for a living. My wife agrees and has mentioned it on occasion. So, I'm wondering about that. How difficult would that be for me to make the transition into writing for a living? I have a few concerns and I guess I will mention them here. I'm not sure if they go unanswered or even if I'm necessarily looking for direct feedback. Just posing the questions. Perhaps that helps me to reach a conclusion on the topics at hand...or at minimum give me a better grasp on more clearly defining what it is I'm in search of.

I know I have a knack for writing. I think I've always known that. That's not meant to sound as though I'm bragging, but I won't feign ignorance in an effort to appear more humble than I am. The problem I come across is: "can I write on demand and as a lifestyle?" I suppose I could. I just don't know how that habit gets incorporated into my daily routine. Just as sort of a precursor to this article, I performed a Google search on "becoming an author." I briefly scanned through some of the results and it seemed as though there were a few common concerns among aspiring authors, most of which I share.

You have to write to be a writer

Ha! Brilliant. Unfortunately, it's very true. "Unfortunate," you ask? Yes. Because most people out there who have the capacity to write in any sort of convincing manner are probably not actively writing. I include myself in this assumption of "many." I suppose writing in this case would be no different than any other activity, whether professional or leisurely. It is suggested on some of the sites I visited that one writes everyday in order to maintain their craft. I agree with that. I need to write.

Reading

Sure, we CAN read...but do we? I tend to go through spurts in almost everything I do in life. Every hobby or pass-time I've ever pursued has either been hot or cold. I'll mow through some books if I have the current desire to do so. This is not for the simple sake of getting as much reading done as possible. Instead, it is because it is very easy for me to get sucked into a story. So much so that I want more and more of it. Then, I'll usually find a lull in a book and it bores me to the point of not reading. One site even suggested that if you aspire to create a literary work, you should read books that fit within the genre in which you wish to create.

I'm a bit torn on this one. While I certainly agree that one should read in order to keep your mind in shape (specifically, a larger vocabulary can typically be acquired when reading often), the rebel in me says "fuck your genre." On the other hand, I suppose that not every reader is a writer, so if I want to attract readers at all, my writing needs to bear some familiarity in structure--something people can recognize, even if only subconsciously.

Becoming frustrated and giving up

That fits me to a tee. I hate to admit that but with honest self-reflection, I cannot deny that apparent "weakness" that I have. So many people out there are writing. So many probably feel as though their words are worth the attention of potential readers. How many people really get that opportunity though? Many? Few? I don't know. Some articles suggested that I submit works to competitions. Meh... sounds like so much work (sounds lazy, I know). What this also implies is that the recommended competitions are centered more around creative works (e.g., works of fiction) and that is an area that I've no experience in. I'd love to give that a try, I guess. I just wouldn't know where to start. My "experience" comes more from argumentative works or even just plain 'ole point of view. I suppose, depending on one's position on the matters in which I share my opinion, my writing could be seen as fiction.

So, what drives people to want to become authors? The very same sites I visited had a few ideas on this and I think they're worth some attention.

Fame

Well, that's not me really. I don't typically like the general public much anyway. The last thing I want is a bunch of people looking at me, criticizing me, going out of their way to talk to me, etc. Of course, there WOULD be a sense of accomplishment if that were the case though, wouldn't it? And I wouldn't certainly need the reader base if I wanted to actually be compensated for my craft.

Money

That's never ever been a motivating factor for me. It has certainly been a DE-motivator lately but the thought of compensation hasn't ever grabbed me and propelled me to perform well. I've gone over this with recent management in my current job numerous times and they still don't get it. When I don't perform, it always comes full circle. They relentlessly come back with something along the lines of "well, if you perform well, you could be making X dollars." I get more irritated at the fact that haven't listened to a word I've said in the past regarding my drive and what fuels it. But...I need to be compensated in order to survive. I like living a lifestyle that allows me some financial freedom. Ha! Who doesn't? I've been very well compensated in the past for doing outstanding work in a sales environment, but it was never about the money. It was about being the best at what I did.

Writing for the sake of writing

That's more in line with what I would write for, although it does sound a bit eye-rolling cliche. It still doesn't fit perfectly with my goals but it's fairly close. I would like to write just for the sake of the literature that has yet to be created, but for the most part (and up til now) I really think I have messages to communicate. I want to put them in writing but more importantly (to me) I want people to see my points of view. No, that's not contradictory to my view on fame or people. It's just me wanting a purpose to the things I write.

My roadblocks seem more simple since I've written them down. At least they're more defined, which is exactly one of the goals I had when I set out to write this article. I need to get off my ass and write. I need to proactively look for ways to improve my writing. I need to get my writing seen and be able to take feedback and adjust to it. Overall, I think I can do it. I just have to start.

0 comments:

Post a Comment